Why Choose Texas Bay Credit Union?
Since 1936, Texas Bay Credit Union has served members throughout the Houston area and we continue our mission to offer each member the “right product, at the right time, and delivered the right way!”
There are a lot of great things that make Texas Bay Credit Union unique, with the most important difference being that we are a local, not-for-profit financial institution focused on serving our members. Therefore, our net earnings are returned to our members in the form of lower interest rates on loans, higher dividends on deposits, low fees, and FREE products and services.
Being a member saves you money and increases your buying power. As a member, you have access to a complete selection of time and money-saving financial services, usually at a lower cost or more attractive rate than other financial institutions.
- Checking and savings accounts
- Mortgage and home equity loans
- Auto and personal loans
- Credit cards
- Investment, retirement and insurance products
- Free access to online and mobile banking, bill pay and mobile deposit
- Plus, outstanding service at seven convenient branch locations
Join Texas Bay Credit Union today!
A. APR means Annual Percentage Rate and it’s the annual rate that you pay to borrow money. It is stated as a percentage that represents the actual yearly cost of funds over the borrowing term and includes any fees or additional costs associated with the transaction. When you are searching for a credit card, it’s important to understand the different rates that might be mentioned.
- Fixed rate – Is a fixed annual percentage rate that does not change over time.
- Variable rate – Is a rate that will vary or adjust based on a specific index such as the prime rate or Treasury Bill Rate plus an added percentage.
- Introductory rate – Is a temporary, usually lower APR that typically lasts for about six months before converting to the normal fixed or variable rate.
A. Opinions vary on the best approach to paying down credit card debt; however, there are some tried and true techniques, all of which take dedication and discipline. If you want to pay down your credit card debt, here are a few options to consider.
- Pay the most expensive balance first. List your balances from highest interest rate to lowest and make the minimum monthly payment on all cards, but throw any extra cash at the highest overall.
- Consider a balance transfer. If you qualify, sometimes this will allow you to transfer your higher-interest balances to a new card where you can save on interest, making it easier and faster to get out of debt.
- Get your spending under control. Sometimes the source of the problem is chronic overspending, which usually means you aren’t really aware of how much you bring in versus how much goes out each month. To avoid that, you need a budget and you must stick to it. Not easy but very important!
A. Transferring a balance from a higher-interest credit card to a lower-interest card can be a great way to save money and get out of debt faster. But, it can also be an easy way to get into even more debt and make a bad financial situation worse, if you are not disciplined. Before transferring a balance you need to ask yourself a few questions:
- Will I save money? Paying less interest on your credit card debt will save money; however, depending on the deal and the fees, it may not save enough to be worth the trouble. Before you transfer, do the math.
- Will I get out of debt faster? When you lower your interest rate, it’s a great opportunity to pay off your debt faster by making larger payments, saving you money. On the flip side, if you lower your interest rate and only make the lower minimum payment, you will not get out of debt faster.
- What’s my potential to slip up? When you transfer a balance to a lower rate card, there’s the temptation to take advantage of the low or zero percent rate and make a lot of new purchases on the card. Resist the temptation because your goal is to transfer and pay the balance down!
Texas Bay Lineup of Credit Card Benefits
Score a home run with a Texas Bay MasterCard Platinum Reward Credit Card. Whether you want a lower interest rate, a great rewards program, or starting to build credit, you will hit a grand slam with a Texas Bay credit card!
- 0% APR¹ - 6 Month Introductory Balance Transfer Rate²
- SPECIAL 5.80% APR¹ Introductory Rate3
- No Annual Fee
- FREE Rewards Program – Earn 2 points per $1 purchase through September 30, 2017
- FREE Travel Benefits
- FREE Apple Pay
- And more!
¹APR means Annual Percentage Rate.
²The 0% APR Introductory Rate is good for the first 6-Months. After then, your rate will change to the rate based on your credit at the time of approval. Risk Based Pricing Notice: The Annual Percentage Rates (APR) quoted “as low as” depending upon the applicant’s individual credit history. Rates quoted are based on approved credit. Your APR may be higher based on your credit information obtained from consumer credit reporting agencies Texas Bay Credit Union uses. Rates and terms are subject to change without notice. Credit card changes require 45 days advance notice. Must be 21 or older, or have a parent or guardian as a co-signer. Transfer fees and other restrictions may apply.
3 The 5.80% APR Introductory Rate is available on new purchases for the first 6 months. After then, the rate will change to the rate based on your credit at the time of approval and be applied to all new purchases. The introductory rate is available on purchases only. Must be 21 or older, or have a parent or guardian as a co-signer. Transfer fees and other restrictions may apply.
*Members must be approved for a new credit card at Texas Bay Credit Union before the offer deadline of September 30, 2017 to be automatically entered in a drawing for a chance to win a 55” HDTV plus a $113 gift card (value at $1,000) or one of eight $50 gift cards (value $50 each). Giveaway subject to change based on availability and at the sole discretion of the credit union. If the package is unavailable, a gift card will be provided to the winner in an amount equal to the giveaway. No purchase necessary to enter and win. Eligible persons may enter the drawing by submitting a handwritten form without purchase or obligation. Mail a 3×5 card with name, address and contact information to: Texas Bay Credit Union, Attn: Marketing, 12611 Fuqua St., Houston, TX 77034. Entries must be received no later than 5 pm CST on September 30, 2017. Winners are selected in a random drawing to be held by the credit union during October 2017. Officials and employees of the Credit Union and their family members are not eligible to participate in the Drawing.